Tuesday, January 22, 2008

My First Fall

Today I had my first fall as a pregnant lady. Never fear, there is no permanent (or even temporary) damage done. But I'll tell you the story anyway. I decided to take a walk this afternoon to the dumpster and to drop off some movies we rented. Boy, let me just tell you that it is getting really hard to walk any length with this belly. It just feels so heavy today. Oh yeah, it had snowed a little bit last night, so that made it slippery in some places. I did notice something about myself--I totally waddled today. I saw my tracks in the snow, and it looked like a duck had just been on the sidewalk. Normally my toes point forward and my feet are relatively close together. But today my toes were pointing out with each step. Anyway, back to my fall. It didn't even have to do with wet snow. I simply stepped into a hole that I didn't see, so my ankle gave out, and then the rest of me followed. I landed on my knees first, and then my hands reached the ground last. By the way, when you got a growing baby strapped to the front of you, there's no way to fall but forward. My ankle hurt for like two seconds, and so did my knees, and that was it. I brushed myself off and finished my walk.

Not a real exciting story, but that's ok. In other news, Josh had the day off yesterday, and it was so much fun hanging out with him. He pulled out his toolbox, and we did more work on the baby's room. We put up the curtain and valance for the window, and we also put up the wall hangings that we have. It's starting to look more like a nursery. I still haven't put the bedding on yet, cause it's still too early for that. I should take some pictures of what we did so ya'll can see. I also think we're gonna go buy the stroller this week. We went yesterday, but they didn't have any in stock. They have a truck come to the store three times a week, so it should be in soon.

I have a doctor's appointment later this week, and then we have our first class at the hospital on Saturday. It's Infant CPR. I've taken CPR courses in the past for babysitting, but it's been a while, so I wanted to have this as a refresher. I told Josh it would give me more peace of mind knowing that the knowledge is fresh in my head, instead of trying to recall it from my junior high days.

Josh and I caught an episode of Notes From the Underbelly last night, and we were laughing. The show is about a couple who is pregnant, so we can totally relate. For instance, the girl's big issue that was she felt fat and unattractive, and her shoes didn't fit anymore. I hear ya, sister! I can only wear my slip-ons and my sneakers these days. And then her husband bought her a body pillow, and it was so funny when she was trying to figure out how to use it. Oh, she was also tossing and turning at night and taking up most of the bed, which Josh says is totally me. At one point she even knocked him off the bed with her butt, but I've never done that (at least not yet).

Oh, I made brownies in a mini-muffin pan, and I put a Reese's PB cup in each one. Mmm, they are good! I sent most of them to work with Josh, cause I haven't sent any food for his coworkers in forever. I love brownies!

Ooh, I need a brownie break ;)

7 comments:

Christi said...

I'm so glad your caught yourself!! Falling can be scary enough when you aren't preggo - but way worse when you have 2 people to think about. I'm glad to know you are both OK though!! :-)

I have to admit - when I first read your post, I was confused about why you were taking rented movies to a dumpster. Then I read it again and realized that there was an AND in there - lol.

I think I need to take the CPR class again. I already forget most of what they taught us. I still have the papers though, maybe I should read them as a refresher...

Yum - Brownies!!

Can't wait to see the pictures of the nursery :-)

Eden said...

Glad you weren't seriously injured Mary! Praise the Lord!

I need to refresh my CPR skills as well.

I've heard that Notes was a funny show, but have never watched them.

Brownies are so yummy!

Sara said...

Ahh, I remember my big fall when I was pregnant. It happened almost the same way--I ended up on all 4s like I was crawling. Like you said, you can't help but fall forward. Anyway, glad to hear you weren't hurt.

Yes, you DO need to take pics of BC's room so we can all ooh and ahh. :)

Infant CPR--good idea. I thought about taking that, but never got around to it. I should look into a child CPR course now, I guess...

Hey--I haven't watched last night's Notes from the Underbelly yet! *glares at you* J/K I'll still watch it anyway. Hooray for DVR!

I made brownies last night too, and forgot to bring one to work with me today--duh! Guess I'll have to make up for it when I get home, hee hee. :)

love you!

Dave + Jess said...

So glad to hear that you nor the baby were seriously injured! Falling is no fun, especially in public. It sounds like no one was around, which is good and bad...they could have helped you up!

Anyway, great job on the baby room! Like you said, you still have time, but it's fun doing that kind of stuff so why not have at it?!

I made brownies for D last week after his big test..and there are still some left...thanks for reminding me...

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Brownies! Chocolate & peanut butter are ALWAYS a great combination! Hey no fair, I'm on a diet & have lost 5 pounds since the new year started. Now you're tempting me with brownies? ;) So glad you weren't hurt due to your fall & the baby's okay, too! Praise the Lord! Yessssssssssss! Please post pics of your nursery! Can't wait!

The Osborne's said...

I'm so glad you caught yourself. At least it wasn't one of those horrible falls you read in books about pregnant woman. I'm glad everything is going good! I've seen Notes From The Underbelly... its so funny! Anyway, you'll be a Mommy soon, I bet your excited!!

Unknown said...

I remember my "first fall." It was winter and our walkway was icy, and I fell forward and tried to break my fall with my hands. I was fine, but it was scary. It's great that ur taking CPR classes. Notes from the Underbelly was one of my fav shows when I was pregnant. During the show's first "season" (only was a few episodes) there's this scene where the couple is trying to fit pieces of a crib into their Mini Cooper! It was so funny. Another scene was the other couple who has a baby---they tried to do everything perfectly before the baby came and be prepared which meant waking up at weird hours during the night to get used to the baby's 2am feedings etc. with a doll. I loved the scene where they were trying to use the baby sling and the dad-to-be ended up wrapping himself up in the baby sling with the doll practically strangling himself in the sling. Sooo funny!