Friday, November 16, 2007

Trans-Siberian Orchestra

Josh and I went to a concert of theirs last night. We've heard some of their music before, so we were really excited to get the tickets and hear some early Christmas music. Overall, I'd give it a B+, and here's the reason why. The beginning and the end were A+, but the middle stuff was plbt! The beginning was awesome. They played traditional Christmas songs but with their own flair. There was a storyline too, which I only partially followed. The narrator had a wonderful bass voice and it boomed through the arena. They used lasers and moving lights and even fire to enhance the program. The guys must get so worn out when they play, cause they were running across the stage and moving to their own beat. We heard familiar tunes like God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, Joy to the World, Carol of the Bells, and Hark the Herald Angels Sing.

The stuff we didn't like was in the middle. They had these soloists, and I didn't like their voices. Besides, I couldn't understand what some of them sang, cause they were just screaming into the microphone. There were two soloists that I did like, and these men had really good voices. There were also these girls that sang too, and danced, so they reminded us of go-go dancers or something. The songs in the middle were still Christmas ones I think, but they weren't traditional. They were ones they made up, and it seemed like every other one was about someone in a bar on Christmas Eve. I guess it went along with the story they were telling. Oh, there was this one soloist who sang for like 10 minutes! Every time we thought he was done, he start up on another verse. We clapped when he finished, mainly because we were glad he was done :)

One of the guitar players introduced the band. He donned a Buckeye jersey too, so we all cheered of course :). There were 2 pianists, several guitarists (one had a double ax), a violinist (who had a glow-in-the-dark violin), and a drummer. He had a solo section and he was awesome! He played so fast and precise--I wish I had rhythm like that. Anyway, there aren't too many in this "orchestra," but they also used local musicians in the program, so there was a stringed section that added to the sound. I think their name is kind of deceiving, cause they aren't really an orchestra. They are a rock band with a piano and violin, plus the extras the locals they use when they travel.

The second part of the program wasn't Christmas songs. They did some modern ones that I didn't recognize, except for Rolling Down the River--I knew that one. They also did some classical pieces, like Canon in D and Flight of the Bumblebee. So overall, we liked it, except for those soloists in the middle. We definitely got our money's worth, cause it was three hours long! And we didn't pay an arm and a leg for tickets, so we were glad about that, seeing as we didn't like all of it.

It was quite loud, of course, and we were a couple rows from the back, but we had no problem seeing. I'm glad we were so far back, cause once they started, I thought, Hey, is this good for the baby? So I was a little worried about that at first, but Josh assured me that it wasn't bad. But he gave me his coat to put over my belly to muffle the noise anyway :) I did look up some stuff online today, and it said, don't make a habit of going to loud concerts when you're pregnant, and I don't plan to, so I feel a little better. The sounds I hear aren't as loud as the baby hears. And speaking of the baby, he decided to move a couple times! That's right, I felt him twice. The first time felt like a flutter, and I know I felt that a couple weeks ago when I was directing choir practice. At that time, I wasn't sure if that was the baby, but my suspicions are confirmed. The second time he moved it was more like a kick. I could almost imagine his little foot kicking me, probably in protest over the noise :)

Oh yeah, the other day, I bought a handful of outfits for my little guy, and I've been told by both grandmas that I'm not allowed to buy anymore clothes for him :). Don't worry, I've run out of coupons, so I won't be running out to the store anytime soon :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still remember the thrill of a baby's first kick! I'm so excited for you. This is just the beginning of many moments you'll treasure! Motherhood is wonderful! Enjoy! I love you!

Sara said...

You got to give the TSO guys props for having so much energy--and sustaining it for 3 hours! The day we saw them, they had a second show only a couple hrs after ours ended.

I agree with you--there was a part during the first section where I found my mind wandering. Up until then, they had done a good job mixing fast and slow songs, but then suddenly it seemed like there were a bunch of slow songs in a row, and my eyes started to glaze over. But then they really seemed to kick it up a notch in the second half--as if they knew they needed to keep the energy flowing. :)

Yeh, how about those girl singers, huh? I thought their dresses were fairly cute, until they stood on a smaller stage closer to us, and I saw that the back of the dress was slit all the way up to the butt--which means there was nothing but that ruffle in the back covering their behinds! Did you notice that? Dawn called them "pole dancers" and I had to laugh, because that's what a lot of their dance moves reminded me of. :)

Yeh, the guy who introduced the band did a similar thing with wearing jerseys of local teams. The last one he wore was a Red Sox one, and I think the audience was split pretty evenly between cheers and boos. :)

I thought Flight of the Bumblebee was amazing--that's hard enough to play on a piano, let alone on a guitar!

You didn't mention the dueling keyboards bit--I thought that was really good. I loved when they broke into all the Charlie Brown music.

I'm sure the baby was well-protected from all the noise. I used to notice Ari moving more whenever we were practicing church music or I had the radio loud in the car... and now, she loves to dance to music. So, see, you're starting that music appreciation early. :)

So cool that you finally really-truly-for-sure felt him move! Just wait until it starts to turn into real kicks and punches--it can even hurt sometimes, lol. :) But it's all good.

Love you, sis!

Sara said...

Forgot to mention--I LOVED the narrator's voice too! I could listen to him read the phone book... :)

Eden said...

Cool! You got to go see TSO! We hope to do that some Christmas season.

Oh, you got to feel the baby!!! I bet it was exciting! I love watching and feeling other preggie moms bellies when the baby is moving and kicking around. I really wish my placenta had been turned around the correct way, so I could have felt Olyvia. It was very stressful, having to go in for NSTs twice a week, but to make sure she was moving, etc. If we have any more babies, I hope my placenta is turned around the normal way. lol

We want to see pics of the new outfits you got for our little nephew!

Dave + Jess said...

TSO is sort of like a "super band." Which means they are composed of members of old rock bands. So basically, they ARE a rock and roll/heavy metal band. Because of that, I probably wouldn't buy any of their CDs.

Mannheim Steamroller, on the other hand, is more of a modern, progressive (perhaps a little new age-ish) type of band/orchestra. Jess and I went and saw MS a couple of years ago and LOVED it. The concert was a little loud (like most concerts, rock or not), but there were no long boring parts, and no soloists that I wanted to shoot. They also used smoke, laser lights, and a video screen during some parts of the show. I would definitely buy some of their CDs, or go see them again.

Hey, every time the baby kicks you, give Josh a little kick. That way he can sympathize with you.

Dave + Jess said...

Yeah, I agree with D, Mannheim Steamroller was an AWESOME concert. Your Mom got us one of their CDs and I loved it so much, D copied it and I bring it to school each December :). I've heard TSO's music and don't care for them at all.

Yay for a kicking baby!!!! I'm sure it's comforting to know that he's alive and well, even when it might start to hurt! D fiddles so much with his hands (constantly tapping, etc.) that I said if our babies fiddle around in my tummy as much as he fiddles around, then I'm poking him every time it happens. I think that's where he got the idea to kick Josh when the baby kicks you...sorry Josh! :)