Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Winter, Winter, Go Away!

Is anyone else sick of snow? Don't get me wrong, I love winter, and I love snow for Christmas, but when storms come in February, I'm ready to see green trees and pretty flowers once again. The apartment feels so small when we're cooped up all day. I look forward to my weekly grocery shopping, just cause I know I can get out of the house. But when I have to watch my step while holding Matthew for fear of slipping on ice, the journey isn't as pleasant. Spring brings warmer and longer days, which means family walks after dinner and trips to Coldstone to satisfy my sweet tooth. Yes, spring needs to come soon :)

Even though we don't have a lot of room, Matthew seems content to explore the space we have. No, he's not crawling yet, but he can get up on all fours. And when he's on his belly, he can advance, retreat, and even rotate (like a lazy susan). He still loves to stand, which he's getting stronger at, but he's hesitant to take steps.

He's so talkative now. It's more than just da-da and na-na. He's experimenting with other vowel combinations and sounds like he's really trying to say a word sometimes.

This pic is for Great-Grandpa Trew. We thought Matthew looked like a farmer in this outfit.


I taught him this a few days ago, and I kinda regret it. He was in his crib one morning. Or maybe it was afternoon after a nap. I can't remember exactly. But anyway, he was whining a bit cause he couldn't see me, so I slowly lifted up the bottom of the bumper, and he was so delighted to see my face right there. A game of peek-a-boo ensued, and the next day after he woke up from a nap, I found him pulling on it all by himself. I'll bet once we take the bumper away, he's gonna have a hard time going to sleep. It's sorta closed him in and kept him from seeing the other things in the room. Now there'll be so many things to look at. Who wants to sleep when there's exploring to be done?

The other night Josh was playing with Matty while I went to the store for a few things. When I came back, he told me that he'd shot 42 shots in a row without any help from daddy. Needless to say I was pretty impressed. I mean, he likes his basketball hoop, but he usually loses interest after a few shots. This video is a small sample of his "mad skills."



He has this tongue hanging out of his mouth all the time and licking his chin. It must taste pretty good. For this picture, I was trying to get a shot of him on all fours, but he belly flopped before I could get it.

Then he decided to be goofy and reward me with a face only a mother could love :)


Not looking at the camera, but on all fours like I wanted.




My new favorite picture. I just love his smile right here. He looks so sweet.
Well, I guess that's all I have for you guys right now. Not too much to say. We're just enduring what Winter has left to give and looking forward to Spring rearing it's lovely head. Stay warm everyone!





4 comments:

Moz + Pam said...

I'm getting tired of winter, too, Mary! Enough of snow already. I'm looking forward to SPRING! Looks like you have an all-star on your hands. Way to go little Matty! Loved the video of him in action!

Sara said...

UGH, I am SO sick of winter. I have a friend who lives in Indiana and he told me they got over 20" of snow in less than 24 hours. This winter has just been unreal... like it's making up for all those winters where we didn't get any snow. :P

As far as Matthew with the crib... I remember worrying about Ari's sleeping habits once she learned how to climb out, and then worrying even more when we converted it into a daybed. But she's been so good with it--sure, every now and then we'll catch her out of bed, but 90% of the time, she understands when she's put in bed, it's time to sleep.

"Matty"... aww, I love it. :)

I love how he shakes the ball to the beat of the music before making a basket. And 42 in a row? Wow! Doesn't look like that hoop even counts that high. ;)

Ohhhh, that last pic is PERFECT! :)

Anonymous said...

While you guys have gotten all the snow, we have really, really sporadic weather. It was 39 yesterday and a high of 60 today with 70s possible tomorrow. Go figure! It's just one big teaser that spring is almost here - which it's not :( Luved the video - hmmm I wonder if they make some sort of football version . . .

So are you calling him Matty now? I think it's the first time I've "heard" you call him that. Cute :)

Keep us updated on the house hunting!

Grateful Grammy said...

Hannah said that it smelled like spring today. I told her that we were just being teased. We still have about 6 weeks to go before then. Love the last picture of Matthew the best too.