Thursday, February 12, 2009

Mostly About Me

I've been having bad dreams this week. Every night it's something different, and I really wish it would stop plaguing me. Josh likes to watch a show on History channel called Monster Quest, and these experts are looking for myths, like the Loch Ness Monster or Big Foot. It's not really scary to me, but then I had a bad dream about it. I thought if we skipped that show, I'd be dream-free, but not the case. I usually have a snack in the evenings, so I thought if I gave that up, it would help too (typically if I eat right before bed, I'll dream a lot). But last night I still had a bad dream. Oh well, they can't go on forever, so I'll just endure them for the time being.

Research shows that mothers who take time for themselves away from their children, whether it be daily, weekly, or monthly, become better mothers. They get a chance to break away from the daily grind and do something for themselves, like shopping, or exercising, or taking a luxurious bath. They get to relax and refocus, and as a result they have more energy and a more positive attitude when they come back to their mothering duties.

That's what I needed yesterday. It was just one of those days. I had a headache most of the day, and Matthew was extra whiney and clingy. I tried to watch a movie, and he wasn't content to play by himself. I'd try to interest him in a toy, and he would just push it out of the way and reach for me. So then I'd hold him, but he'd want out of my arms almost immediately. It's tough when we don't know what our kids want, and it sure doesn't help matters when they don't know what they want either.

My break came at church. I passed him off to the nursery workers, and he had a good time with some different people and toys while I watched a video on Debt as Money. It wasn't a long separation, but it was long enough for my baby-free time. Experts say you should specifically carve out your alone time or you may not ever get it. And I really should do that, but a lot of times I just take it when I feel I need it. Even if I can leave Matthew home with Josh while I grocery shop after dinner--that's enough for me most of the time. Though I'm sure as our family grows, I will have to plan ahead for some me-time.

Blogging is another avenue of escape for me, sort of. I mean Matthew's right here on the floor next to me, but since I'm writing mostly about myself, I guess I'm getting a mental break from my darling little boy.

Let's see, what else can I tell you about myself? I bought some new makeup recently. I don't wear makeup everyday. Once a week is my norm, cause I wanna look a little more presentable for church on Sundays. I was pretty much out of powder, I hadn't had any blush in months, and I needed more concealer. So it was off to Target to search my favorite brand for my items. I like Almay. They have eyeshadow combinations that complement different eye colors, so it takes the guess work out of knowing which shade is right for you. I like simple stuff like that--complicated makeup is just that--complicated. And I don't have time for that. Almay has also recently come out with a line called Pure Blends, and 95% of the ingredients are all-natural. They are doing it for environmental purposes, but I'm using it cause I think it will be good for my skin.

And speaking of skin, mine is very sensitive. I have yet to find a face wash and lotion that works well for me. I tried Mary Kay, and I must say their Velocity lotion is about the lightest and most non-pore-clogging I've used. But that also means it doesn't give me all the moisture my skin needs. Plus it's a little inconvenient to have to order it from a consultant. I'd rather be able to pick up my stuff at the drug store. Now I'm trying Dove's face wash, and it's not too harsh, but it doesn't seem to control my break-outs very much. So while it's keeping me clean, it's just not doing enough. And the lotion that matches feels greasy. Usually any face products I try will work for a week or two, but after that it starts to dry out my skin and clog my pores, yada yada.

Now that I've explained my dilemma to you, I recently saw a commercial for Neutrogena's new idea, called Skin ID. You go online and answer a bunch of questions about your skin type and your type of acne and what kind of skin you have, and after that they evaluate your skin and give you a skin care regimen designed just for you. I think I'm interested in trying this out. They guarantee it will work (I know, I know, don't believe everything you hear), but they do give you a 60-day money back guarantee. By then I'm sure I'd know if it was working for me, so at least I could get my money back. When I was looking on the website, it seemed that you get three products, and it will cost about $40. I'm sure there's a shipping charge too. That's a pretty good chunk of change, but it might be worth it if my skin gets happy.

And since I'm on a outward appearance discussion, I'll continue it by telling you all that I bought a leather jacket two days ago that I just love! It was $400, but JCPenney conveniently had it on final clearance for $50, which is much more reasonable. It's a dark brown, and the leather is soft and buttery. And I'd like to also mention that when I put it on I feel really good. It's ok if your clothes make you feel attractive, right? Well, this jacket does the job for me.

Oh, my new favorite cereal is Multi-Grain Cheerios. If you are a Cheerios fan, you will like these I think. They are really tasty, and they are good for you too. Try 'em--they're really yummy :)

House update: Remember when I talked about that first house possibly being "the one"? Well, it is. We looked at a couple more, but the Lord kept drawing us back to this one, so we went for it. We just found out that they officially accepted our offer yesterday, even though we thought it was accepted a couple weeks ago. Apparently someone made a higher bid on this house, but they've decided to go with us because our finances are better. Whoo-hoo! So we've been promised that the paperwork will take a couple weeks, and then we should start to see some agreements in writing. We've been praying for patience this whole time, and most days it's easy. But Josh and I both have our days where we just want to get packing and move on outa here.

Oh, and do you want to know a neat story about this house? When we first checked it out with our realtor, one of the bedrooms had a keychain hanging from the ceiling fan, and the keychain said Matthew. Coincidence? Or a sign from God? You be the judge ;)

And as my sister has said before in her posts, if you've read through all that stuff, you deserve a reward, like a Matthew picture for instance. His hair has gotten really long, and Josh got a little creative in the bath tub the other night.



Thanx for listening, er, reading this post. I'm sure it's all you wanted to know about me and even more. I suppose I should have put at the top that the only Matthew-ish thing was a picture at the end, but who am I to deny you the pleasure of learning about my dreams, my skin, and my clothes? You see, I've covered the mental, the physical, and the superficial. Oh, and the spiritual, since I talked about church. At least I'm thorough ;)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey - it's nice to hear stuff about you :) You'll have to post a link or pictures of the house. So excited for you guys!!!! Do you have a closing date yet?

Janelle said...

I loved your blog today! It is so nice to hear about you.
It is true, Moms that take time for themselves are happier and healthier. I am soooooo glad that you have made a conscious effort to do that for yourself. I see too many times, women dying at young ages or their health completely shot that they end up being no good to their family in the end you know? So I really admire this about you. I think you an amazing mother and an amazing person. You are so balanced in your approach to life and motherhood.
I was bummed I didn't get to talk to you last night, other than across the pew:) Thank you again for my card. It was so thoughtful!
I am not sure if you wore your new jacket last night, but I remembered thinking the one on you wore you looked great in!
I hate bad dreams! I hope yours goes away soon.
I have Almay coupons, I would have given to you, bummer. If you need to get anymore let me know.
I have sensitive skin too and have the same dilemma as you. Mary Kay breaks me out bad. I have tried so many. Brian bought me netrogena for Christmas that I have started trying so we'll see how this goes.
Congrats on the house! That's exciting! Do you guys have a closing date now?
Hey if you ever need an hour break on Wednesdays for Mary time, call me I will be glad to run over:)
I hope you write about you more often, I loved it!

Moz + Pam said...

What an adoreable picture of Matty! I enjoyed hearing about you! I have sensitive skin, too. Dove soap, not facial wash has always worked for me. I use Ivory Soap in the shower. It's cheaper than bodywash & works just as well. It lathers very nicely. I'll be praying that the Lord takes your bad dreams away soon! Have you tried reading your Bible &/or praying just before bedtime? Just a few suggestions to try if you haven't already. Sweet dreams! Do you have a closing date yet? How exciting!

dave + jess said...

Loved reading your "you" update, Mary! David is giving Micah his bath right now, so I have a few minutes of me time and it is very refreshing!

I was going to tell you to try Neutrogena before I read how you saw the commercial. Can't use it while you're pregnant, though, because it has salislic (sp?) acid. I had just started it before getting pregnant and was really impressed by it, switched to Proactiv while pregnant (which I didn't like as much), and am now back to Neutrogna and it's great.

Congrats on the acceptance of your offer on the house you like! Ok, bathtime is over and so is Mommytime :)

Sara said...

Yay, a blog all about you! :)

I hate bad dreams like that. Every so often, I'll have a dream that seems so real that I wake up still feeling the emotions of the dream. For example, if it was a sad dream, I wake up feeling so depressed, and then that feeling will follow me around for a while. Which seems so silly... but sometimes it's hard to shake those emotions. I hope your bad dreams go away soon.

Of course I agree about moms needing "me-time." Even married couples need to spend time away from each other and nurture their own individual interests. I'm like you... I don't necessarily set aside a specific time or day of the week, but I take time as I need it. And luckily Tony is very understanding about that. :)

I hear you on the sensitive skin--ugh! I use St. Ives Apricot Scrub for my face, esp in the winter, since I get dry skin really bad. I know that sounds like an oxymoron, but I need something to scrub away all the dry skin. For lotion, I like Clean and Clear... I think it's called something like "dual moisturizing" because it's lotion coupled with salicylic acid, and it's very non-greasy. You'll have to let us know if that Neutrogena thing works for you. I'm always saying I want to try Proactiv, but I never get around to ordering it. Supposedly the way Proactiv works is because the chemicals in it are in the perfect balance and it's not as harsh on your skin as other cleansers. Which sounds kind of like what this Neutrogena system is promising. Guess you'll see! :)

Oooh, I want to see pics of this jacket! And of course there's nothing wrong with letting a piece of clothing make you feel pretty. I recently bought a pair of knee-high black boots... not only were they a great investment (they keep my legs warm, for one, and I've worn them almost every day for months because of all this snow!) but they make me feel sexy. ;)

Oh my goodness, so exciting about the house! And yes, I totally take that keychain as a sign from God. :) Speaking of keychains... this has nothing to do with anything... but once, when Tony and I were in NYC at the NBC store, I went over to a rack of keychains. I always like poking through those racks to find my and Tony's names. Well, I found Tony's name, in the right spot (b/you know they're always in alphabetical order) and right next to it was a keychain that said "Sara." How crazy is that? Not that it was a "sign" of anything, but I still thought it was cool, and took a pic of it. :)

Wow, I guess these comment boxes don't have a character limit, huh? I feel like I should give YOU a reward now for making it through this gigantic comment. :)

Matthew is as adorable as ever! Love you all!

Christi said...

i enjoyed reading your post. kinda like just sitting having a conversation with you for a minute - only i guess not really a conversation since you were the only one talking!! :-)

Congrats on the house - that is so neat about the keychain saying Matthew!!