Thursday, February 26, 2009

11 Months Old

Ok folks, seriously, one more month and we'll be celebrating Matthew's first birthday! It's unbelievable how fast this mommy and daddy thing goes. Anyways, let me tell you guys what he's been doing lately. His personality is really starting to develop. He loves to laugh, especially at Josh or me, when we're acting silly. But trust me, Matthew does his fair share in acting silly as well. For instance, take a look at the picture below.


Yes, he keeps us laughing every day. I guess the world looks more interesting when you're upside down. Just today he was in this position, and he worked his head and hands closer to his feet. And the next thing he knew, he was sitting on his butt, and it kind of startled him. I was cheering him for a job well done, but he fussed a little. Maybe it hurt when he landed, but it was also just before dinner, and he's usually whiny around that time.


He looks so innocent in the one above, doesn't he? He's a sweet boy, except when he's getting dressed. He hates to have his clothes changed now. He'll try to roll over on the changing table and he'll fuss and be generally uncooperative. Oh yeah, it's great fun.


He's been eating chunkier foods these days, which I guess includes nibbling his toe once in a while. This morning he ate about a fourth of a banana. I broke off the piece to feed to him, and he scraped off bites with his teeth. He also reaches or points for things that he wants. So far he's been patient if we can't figure out what he wants right away, but I'm guessing that will change as time goes on. But on the plus side, with time comes language, so he'll be able to actually tell us what he wants. Whoo-hoo, a silver lining!

Aww, what a nice face, little boy

And, not so nice. What a booger.

Ok, where was I? Oh yes, he loves to listen to me sing. If he's crying in the car or when he's getting dressed, usually he'll stop crying if I'm singing. It's an easy tactic/distraction, and I'll keep using it as long as I can.

He's getting so big. He's outgrown most of his 12-month overalls. We've got him in 18-24 month stuff, and some of it's still too big, so I guess he's between sizes for now. Oh, a few weeks back we introduced him to his ball popper he got for Christmas, and at first he was scared of it. It's got a loud vacuum noice to move the balls around, and I think that's what he didn't like. But he got used to it, so he likes it now.

Look, Ma, Bullwinkle antlers! No, actually, we were doing the "so big" game here. He just caught onto it this week, and I got it on camera.



See? Isn't he cute? Ok, I'm biased, but so are you all, since you're related to him :) Ok funny story now. Has anybody ever had a pea facial? Oh yeah, I had one today for lunch, and it's not as glamorous as it sounds :) I put the soupy spoon of peas into Matthew's mouth, and without warning he sneezed all over me! There was no scrunched up nose or squinty eyes or anything to indicate it was coming and man, I got it good. There were green spots on my glasses, in my hair, on my shirt. And I'm trying to clean myself up and Matthew's just looking at me with a big smile on his face. He better not have done it on purpose.

Sorry if my writing is a little disjointed. I had this list of things to write about so I wouldn't forget, and it doesn't always come out smooth on, er, paper, for lack of a better word. Well, if you survived my stories and updates, then I guess I can leave you with a video. Keep in mind, Matthew's a goofball who loves to laugh. And he'll laugh at the silliest things.

7 comments:

Grateful Grammy said...

Grammy's boy is sooooo cute! Mary, is your face smoother now from the facial? :)

Janelle said...

I can not believe he is almost a year already! Wow!
Oh so sorry about the facial. That does not sound like fun.
The Bullwinkle antlers were adorable! And I just love his little laugh in the 2nd video. He is such a cutie!

Moz + Pam said...

Oh, he's getting so big! I love his personality, too! What a good boy! Gramma loves you, Matty!

Moz + Pam said...

Did I mention that he's quite the little rascal?! ;)

Sara said...

Happy 11 months, Matthew!

Ha, I like you say he's been eating chunkier foods, and then you mention his toes. :)

But on the plus side, with time comes language, so he'll be able to actually tell us what he wants. Whoo-hoo, a silver lining!

^ I was going to comment on that, but I'm too busy laughing. I'll just wait for the blog post when you're all, "Oh my gosh, when will this kid ever shut up?" ;)

That's sweet that he loves to hear you sing. I assume Ari likes my singing too--at least, I haven't heard any complaints.

LOL at the pea facial... well, I'll scratch that off my list of things to try for facials. ;)

He's getting so big, Mary. Give him a big kiss from Auntie Sara!

Steve and Eden said...

Happy 11 Months, Matthew!! I can't believe he's almost a year old. Your post brought back sweet memories of Lyv at that age.

I've had the pea facial done to me before, except that it was with sweet potatoes. lol

What you were doing in the last video was something that we did with Lyv; we actually still do and she still gets a big kick out of it! lol

Love you guys.

Christi said...

that last video is hilarious!! :-) i love to hear babies laughing. and we will do anything to get them to laugh - lol.