Friday, November 7, 2008

Baby's First Fever

After seven months of health and wellness, I guess Matthew was overdue for a sick day. Last night he was acting pretty normal. Kinda whiny, cause he was tired and ready for bed. I did our routine, which is changing him into his PJs and then I nurse him before bed so he's got a full tummy all night. As I was feeding him, I noticed he wasn't really into it cause he was on the verge of falling asleep. He looked so sweet with eyelids drooping and yawning every minute. I was tempted to rock him to sleep, since he was so willing and not interested in putting up a fight, but I laid him in his crib anyway. And he went to sleep like a good little boy. This was around 9:15pm. Josh and I were in bed by 10pm.

We heard him wake up three times before midnight, which is very unusual. I was gonna go in and feed him, since he didn't eat like he normally does before bed, but I waited to see if he'd put himself to sleep. And he did, which was great, but then he kept waking up, so I knew something was different. On the third time I heard him, I decided to go in and feed him so we could all get some sleep. I put my hand on his chest to let him know I was there before I flipped a light on, and he felt really warm through his clothes. Then I put my hand on his forehead, and this kid was so hot. I'd never felt him this warm before, so I got Josh out of bed to help me. Poor Josh, he was almost in dreamland, and I interrupted.

Josh took his temperature, and it read 100.3. I mentally froze for a moment. I knew that I'd read what to do when your baby has a temperature, but I couldn't for the life of me bring it to mind. I guess I was in mini-panic mode, since he's never even had a slight fever from shots or anything. It's a good thing Josh was there, cause he said, "Well, give him some Tylenol." Oh yeah, duh! I thought to myself. So I gave him the medicine while Josh went online to see when a temperature deserves a call to the doctor. Fortunately, Matthew's wasn't high enough for that, so we knew a little nursing would relax him back to sleep. Josh went to bed, and I stayed with Matthew for a while after. He wasn't very interested in eating. He just squirmed and whined. I could tell he was uncomfortable and tired, and my body heat probably didn't help him feel cool at all. But eventually he gave in and went to sleep. I think we heard him one more time a couple hours later, but he fell back asleep on his own.

And this morning I took his temp again and he's back to normal, 97.7. He's always been below 98.6. I'll still check him throughout the day to see if it comes back, but I'm sure it won't.

5 comments:

Steve and Eden said...

I'm glad that Matthew's fever is gone and that it didn't last long.

Sara said...

I am dying laughing at that first comment... "Honestly, it's a spam!" At least they're up-front about it. And they think highly of their remarks: "It's a good addition to your comments."

You're probably going to delete it, and then my first paragraph is going to look stupid. ;)

Ari's done the fever thing a lot--just spiking a random little fever that only lasts a day. Maybe Matthew's working on more teeth?

Hope that fever is gone for good!

dave + jess said...

Phew, I'm glad Matthew is feeling better today. Fevers are no fun for anyone, especially littles babies and their mommies. Not that I've had any experience with it (where's some wood to knock on?!), but I think my reaction will be somewhat like yours.

See you all in a few weeks!

Christi said...

I laughed at that first one too!! Especially the "honestly, it's spam!" part - ha!! And that he called you "buddy!!" I thought he was going to say he randomly came across you blog and then say something related to your post - but then nothing regarding your post - lol.

Anyway - poor Matthew. Don't you just love the internet?? We have done the same thing many times - searching online because we can't remember what temp. is bad. And when they are younger the "bad" temp. is lower - so I never could remember... I'm glad his temp. is back to normal!! Hope he's feeling back to himself today too!! :-)

Moz + Pam said...

Poor little Matthew. Glad his fever was short-lived & he's back to normal now. Kiss his cheeks for Gramma! See you all soon!