Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Baby's First Cough

Well, I like to watch Matthew achieve milestones and all, but when it comes to sickness, I wish he didn't have to go through those. Last night around midnight we heard him cough in his sleep and it almost sounded like gagging. We rushed in there in less than a second it seemed, and he was alright. Stirring in his crib, but not in the life-threatening situation that we thought. And this morning he's congested and has this little raspy cough :( His temperment hasn't changed--he's still acting energetic and happy (though I expect him to be a little more fussy than usual), but I just feel so bad for him when he coughs. I mean, even though he's a big boy, he's still a baby, and when he coughs his whole body is involved, you know what I mean? It looks like it takes so much effort to get that cough out. I might call the doctor today, just to see what he says to do for him. I just hope this passes quickly. You know what's gonna be so much fun today? Using that nasal aspirator, or the booger sucker, as my sister-in-law calls it. He's much more resistant to it now that he's older and stronger, and I won't have an extra set of hands until Josh gets home from work. Just one of the perks of being a mommy I guess :)

Yesterday Josh had the day off work for Veteran's Day, so it was nice to spend time together as a family. He slept in (much needed), and then he made eggs for us for breakfast. Matthew took a 2-hour nap before lunchtime, and then we drove up to Josh's parent's house for the afternoon. Matthew had lots of fun with his Grampa, his Grammy, and his two aunts. We even took him out in the leaves for some pictures, but he didn't enjoy them as much as we thought he would. Maybe because it was cold? Anyway, here are some pictures of the event.

It's funny, they almost have the same expression on their face.


Yuck! What is this stuff?! Take me out, take me out!!


Huh? What do you call these? Leaves? What kind of a name is that?

I don't know about these, they feel kinda weird. (don't you love his little hat?)

Mom, it's cold, and you stuck me in some crunchy junk, and now you want me to smile?

Ok Mom, I'll touch a leaf one more time. Then will you guys take me in?

I've got some videos of us feeding him the other day, but I'll post those later. I need to tend to my sick son, and do some laundry. I had him in the crib while I was in the shower, and when I went to change his diaper, I found that some of his messiness was on the sheet. Yuck!

4 comments:

Sara said...

Aww, poor little monkey. Ari had such a bad cough one time that after every hack, she'd cry a little because it hurt so much. It's so hard to see them sick. Hope he feels better soon!

(Hmm, maybe he got the cough because you guys made him play outside in the horrible leaves. Muahaha... ;)

I love his little hat--that is awesome! Where did you get it?

Moz + Pam said...

I love, love, love his adoreable hat! Was it a gift? He looks so grown up in his jeans just like a toddler! He's grown so much! Can hardly wait to see him in just 12 more days!! Sorry to hear he's not feeling well! We'll be praying for him!!

dave + jess said...

I hope Matthew is getting over his cough :( They are no fun!

His hat is adorable, and there was no way he was getting lost in that leaf pile with it on!

Christi said...

Yeah - babies and runny noses are not a fun combination!! Sometimes I use some saline spray to help. Isabella laughs at the idea of the saline container going in her nose now - I think it must tickle!! I have one with this special tip that makes it easier. Hopefully he will get over this cold quickly. Seems like all these colds lately are lingering ones.

That hat is adorable!! And Josh was super lucky to be off yesterday!! Wish we had been... :-)