Friday, February 22, 2008

6 Weeks Left!

Yup, you heard right. Just like the groundhog signaled six more weeks of winter, I've got six more weeks of pregnancy to endure. Of course, it could be less, if I went into labor early. But the majority of pregnancies are either on time or late, so we'll see what happens.

I had a dr's appointment today that I was kinda nervous about. I thought I'd be getting my first of many internal exams, but I didn't! Whoo-hoo! You wanna know why? Ok, I'll tell you. Two weeks ago the doctor told me he'd start checking my cervix next time, and from what I've read it seemed like it was a little early for that, but I didn't argue. I mean, he's the doctor, right? He knows what he'd doing. So today the nurse calls me back to take my weight and blood pressure, and as I'm getting on the scale she says...

You're not very big for 37 weeks.

Me: Ha, wait til you see the scale. It will tell you otherwise. (In my head--wait, did she just say 37 weeks? That can't be right. I'll have to ask her about that)

Once we are in the examining room...

Me: Did you say I was 37 weeks?

Nurse: Yup, that's right.

Me: Cause I thought I just finished 34 weeks.

Nurse: Are you keeping track on a calendar?

Me: Yeah.

Nurse: Sometimes the calendar doesn't line up with the wheel (side note--they use this funky wheel to determine your due date)

Me: So I'm still due April 2nd?

Nurse: Yup, you've got three more weeks.

Me: But in three weeks it won't be April 2nd.

Nurse: (pause) Let me double check your paper in a minute (she was listening for the baby's heart beat at this point)

After a moment... Oh, you're right. Last time you were here the nurse put you down at 35 weeks, but you're not. You're just now in your 35th week.

Me: Ok, I thought so.

Nurse: That means your had your group B strep test too early. Let me check with the doctor to see if you need to have it done again.

And I didn't--yay for me again! So I didn't need my cervix checked after all cause it was too early. I'm pretty sure they'll do it next week though, and every week after that. Yeah, I'm to the point where I have an appointment every week. It's really getting down to the wire here folks. This little guy is going to be here before you know it (squeal of delight) :)

So the baby's heartbeat is good--154 (boy do I wish my weight was that same number!). But my weight, amazingly enough, didn't change from my last visit, even though my scale at home betrays another story. My blood pressure is a little higher than it's been--142/90. And I even asked my doctor about the extra swelling I've been having. He checked it out, but he said my BP is not high enough to worry about yet, and the swelling just comes with the territory. I'm doing all he's said to do before, decrease salt, increase water, yada yada, but he said sometimes no matter what you do you just can't avoid it. So that made me feel better. I've been doing all the good stuff, but if swelling is inevitable, then I don't have to feel guilty anymore.

It's about time for an eight month belly picture, but you'll have to wait. It seems our camera battery died yesterday. Josh tried to get a picture of the lunar eclipse, and it just pooped out. It's final hours were spent taking that award-winning video of my husband this past weekend ;) What an intelligent way to spend our weekend. Oh, I know what I can post! BABIES FOR DUMMIES











8 comments:

Moz + Pam said...

WOW!! It's getting so close!! I'm so excited for both of you!! Love those Babies For Dummies cartoons!! Keep them coming!! Don't delay that belly picture too long!! I love you very much!!

Eden said...

You'll be holding your beautiful baby boy soon!! Oh, I can't wait to see pics of him!!!

Eden said...

You'll be holding your beautiful baby boy soon!! Oh, I can't wait to see pics of him!!!

Sara said...

I thought it seemed a bit too early for internal exams--glad you got to postpone it for a little longer.

I had a lot of swelling too, and it seemed nothing helped, not even putting my feet up. Like your dr said, it just comes with the territory.

I love these Babies for Dummies pics--they seriously make me laugh out loud. My fave one this time is "checking baby's diaper." :)

Can't wait for a belly pic! Before you know it, you'll be posting actual baby pics! *insert squeal of delight*

Eden said...

from Steve,
I just wanted to say that i think the baby instructions are hillarious. they always make me laugh so hard. eden's and my favorite is the "drying baby" followed by the "containing baby." OK, goodnight now. love you!

Dave + Jess said...

Bad doctor's office for making such a mistake! Good thing you didn't have to get the test redone. I can't believe your baby is only 6 short weeks from being able to be held and kissed and hugged and posed for lots and lots of pictures!! Can't wait to see what/who he looks like!!

Unknown said...

I'm glad u double-checked about how far along you were! I had Dylan 10 days early, but I think I would have been late considered I wasn't even starting to dilate going into the hospital (my doc said most women are and he thought it was weird I wasn't lol). :)

Unknown said...

I'm glad u double-checked about how far along you were! I had Dylan 10 days early, but I think I would have been late considered I wasn't even starting to dilate going into the hospital (my doc said most women are and he thought it was weird I wasn't lol). :)