Thursday, December 20, 2007

Christmas Cantata

We finally had our Christmas Cantata at church last night. We were supposed to do it the Sunday night before, but the snow changed our plans. We had a pretty good crowd for a Wednesday night, plus some new faces. That's always nice to see when you're putting on something different from a normal church service. I had my choir members wear white and red, and they looked really nice up there. And I might as well mention that they did a wonderful job! They sounded awesome and filled the whole auditorium with their voices. We had several soloists for some songs, and they did a good job as well. My two hosts (aka narrators) did excellent. My sis-in-law was supposed to be one of them, but oral surgery kept her from it, so I made Josh do it on the last minute. He did good for having only gone over it a couple times, but we both wished Hannah would have been able to do it, since she'd been working on it for a couple months. We were going to have a small drama accompany the music, but when it came right down to it, they just weren't ready. I hadn't prepared them enough, and I didn't want to put on a bad quality performance, so I took it out. We were all bummed about it, but I think it was for the best. Since I gave music a try this year, maybe next year I'll stretch my wings in the drama department. It's been a while since college and all those speech classes, but they were so much fun! Of course being a mother might complicate some stuff, so we'll see when that time of year rolls around.





The church was so nice. Pastor presented me with this adorable tree (which was quite heavy) that had these two Disney ornaments hanging from it. They also gave me a card with a Golden Corral gift card in it to thank me for the work I did. I wasn't expecting it at all. In fact, I even saw the youth pastor off to the side holding this tree and I thought, Oh, that's nice, they have a tree with bows on it for the front of the church. Yeah, with this pregnancy brain it didn't register right away that they brought it out for me :) We all had a great night, but it was nice to go home and cuddle up with my hubby for a couple minutes before bed.

6 comments:

Christi said...

That is funny that you didn't even think about the tree being for you. I saw you look over at Eric - and I thought you probably guessed (like I did) that it was for you. But it's better that you didn't - you were more surprised that way!! Thanks for all your hard work on the Cantata - it was nice to be able to do one again this year - and that wouldn't have happened without you. :)

Sara said...

Well, you can ignore my e-mail asking how the cantata went, lol.

I'm glad it went well! Did you get any pictures?

Love the ornaments--big surprise there, huh? ;)

You being surprised about the tree reminds me of my baby shower at FABC--they told me it was a going-away party for someone else, and even when I walked in the door and saw everyone grinning at me, I still didn't know what was up. They had to literally tell me, and even then, it took a minute for it to sink in. Good ole' pregnancy brain! :)

Anonymous said...

LOL to Sara's comment! So glad your cantata went off without a hitch although I'm not surprised since it had an excellent director! ;) Anyway I'm sure you deserved the gifts you got @ the end. You are a hard worker. It must have been so satisfying! Love the ornaments, too! Only 2 more days until you & your hubby arrive!

Dave + Jess said...

What a big undertaking--putting on a cantata! And it sounds like you did a wonderful job with it. Congrats! D was supposed to be in our church's cantata again this year, but we're in CT so that's not going to happen. You can sit back and enjoy FABC's this coming Sunday night :)

Eden said...

Oh, Mary, I'm so glad the Cantata was beautiful! Of course, I had no doubt that it would be, because you were in charge! My only regret is that we weren't there to see it. : -(

Did you get any pics?

You totally deserved the gifts you received and the disney ornaments are sooo cute! The tree is cute too.

Unknown said...

Wow, u conducted your own church's Cantana? That's so neat! I'm sure you did a great job! ;)

Well, I gotta finish packing...I'm such a procrastinator! Leaving for CT in the AM...I wish we could get together in CT so you can meet Dylan since we are both gonna be around!