Monday, October 26, 2009

Physical Therapy

Matthew had his physical therapy evaluation today. I wasn't sure what to expect. I mean, I knew they would ask questions and observe him at play, but I didn't know how it would turn out in the end. To begin with, I wasn't thrilled that the pediatrician recommended that Matthew get evaluated. I just didn't want the hassle, but I was also partly afraid that they would make some huge and horrible diagnosis. The pediatrician visit and the PT visit were about a month apart, and in that time Matthew made some good progress with walking. He'd grown more confident, more stable, more willing to try. I almost thought about canceling, feeling sure that he would walk on his own soon. But Josh and I have been praying all about this, and we decided that an evaluation certainly couldn't hurt anything. Maybe they would give us some new ideas to try at home to get him to walk.

Miss Nancy was Matthew's evaluator, and she was very nice and very good with him. We went into a big room that had floor mats, a set of stairs, basketball hoops, and tons of different sized balls. Matthew explored the place while she asked me a few questions. Like, were there any problems during my pregnancy, did he pass all his newborn tests, yadda yadda. She got to see him move all over the place: crawling, climbing the stairs, pulling up, walking while holding onto someone's hand. He did all these things with and without shoes. She was impressed with how well he did with these types of movements. She was also impressed with how many words he said and understood (though he wasn't being tested for that kind of stuff, but it made this mother's heart a little proud of her boy).

She recorded her observations and talked with me throught it all. I told her how he uses a push-toy/walker at home, and she that's great and to keep using it. I also told her how he'll put his back up against the chair or the couch and walk a few steps on his own to get to us. She said that was great too.

Her conclusions were simple: it all comes down to low muscle tone in some areas. For instance, his ankles. His ankles turn in toward each other, which makes his feet point out when he walks (think of how Mickey Mouse stands, I think it's called pigeon-toed). Anyway, that stance means he's putting most of his weight on the inside of his foot instead of his whole foot, which makes him very unstable. Hence, why it's hard for him to walk on his own. Also, his hips. He's got a lot of rotation in them, possibly too much. When he sits to play, he sits in a "W" fashion, where the knees are out front and the rest of the leg is pulled back. This type of sitting encourages his ankles to turn in even more. I told her it runs in the family, since his aunt sat that way all the time as a kid, and still sits like that sometimes.

He crawls up and down the stairs, which she said is good for him to do in order to strengthen his hips. Also, walking on his knees, like if he's pushing an upside down pot or laundry basket across the floor, will help as well. He's doing plenty of things at home already that are helping his muscles develop, but she also sent home some more papers with things to look for and try with him.

She brought up braces. Nothing huge or long-term, but it would hide in his shoe and give him that extra stability he needs in the ankles. It would line up his ankles under his legs better, which will help him walk on his own. She noticed that he seems more stable when he wears shoes, so she said to try buying high top shoes to wear around the house before we get into braces. That may be all the extra stability he needs, and we're praying it is.

She also wants to start him on physical therapy visits for a half hour each week. Josh and I talked about this, and it makes us feel like we've done something wrong as parents. But on the other hand, the extra help he'll be getting won't be a bad thing. Yes we can do things with him at home, but having a trained professional work with him and know what to watch for isn't bad. And they've got more resources at the facility than we have at home too. I guess I feel almost ashamed or embarrassed that I have to put my child through this. But Josh told me that if we've identified a weakness, it makes sense to work on it and help him out.

I guess for me it's kind of a pride thing. My child shouldn't need physical therapy. I know better than the doctors do. But the Lord has quickly humbled me. When I was in the waiting room, there was a little girl there the same age as Matthew in this contraption with wheels to help her walk. Her mother told me she has cerebral palsy and has trouble getting enough oxygen. Then a little boy came in, and I heard his mother say that he was there to be fitted for a pacer (I think it's something for the heart). There are so many children out there with serious health issues, and here I am being bothered by the fact that Matthew needs a few physical therapy appointments and some more supportive shoes. I am so incredibly blessed to have a happy, healthy, normal little boy, and I don't ever want to take that for granted.

I was singing Jesus Loves Me to Matthew for his nap this afternoon, and the words really spoke to my heart: "little ones to Him belong; they are weak, but He is strong. Yes, Jesus loves me." Matthew belongs to God, and He knows that his ankles are weak. But God is the source of all strength. He loves Matthew and is watching over him. And yes we have a health issue to deal with, but it's so trivial in comparison with others. Yet it's important to God. Our Sunday school teacher was talking about that on Sunday, that God hears and answers our prayers, no matter how big and no matter how small. How special does that make you feel? This all-powerful, awesome God takes the time to hear you. We need to remember that every day.

5 comments:

Moz + Pam said...

Mary, as first time parents, it's natural for you think there's something wrong with your parenting but STOP right there...you are awesome parents & don't you ever forget it! Matthew's health issues aren't your fault @ all! God knew his ankles would be weak. He was there when Matthew was being formed. With a little physical therapy he'll be fine, I just know it! We're praying for all 3 of you! Love you lots & can't wait to see you all in December!! :)

Unknown said...

Mary, I totally know how you feel! When my peditrician suggested speech therapy for Dylan I was offended! But I knew he couldn't "grunt" his way through life. lol

Dylan got evaluated and we went through 6 months of therapy with him. At the end of the 6 months he got evaluated again and I could def. see the improvement and we didn't need the therapy anymore. In retrospect, I was glad I did it! But I know exactly how you feel---I felt like such an awful parent like I should have done more to help him!

April said...

Josh and Mary..Jeff and I feel your pain exactly but quickly realized that what we went thru with Jared, although horrible at the time, was not as horrible as others had to go thru..we still had our child and in the end realized that God had used it and us to witness to someone who maybe needed that little something that particular day...I let myself have a good cry when he was first diagnosed and then thanked God that it wasn't worse than it was and that He had provided the perfect doctors to take care of the situation!!! And now....he is playing college football and you would never know that at one time a different doctor had told us that he would "probably be a cripple"..We serve an AWESOME GOD!!

dave + jess said...

Matthew is blessed to have you both as parents, Mary. We're praying all goes well with his PT appts, I'm sure they'll be over in no time...although he'll probably enjoy playing at the place so much he won't want to leave!

Steve and Eden said...

I'm so glad ya'll went ahead and had Matthew evaluated! While we were in OH, Olyvia went to physical therapy 3 times a week. I never really thought of the fact that she need therapy as bad parenting. Just something that would improve her ability to move around, and decrease the flatness on her head (which unfortunately was never completed, because military insurance would not cover what she needed). Anyway, that's just one of the many problems with military insurance.

You guys are great parents! God knows everything and has a purpose and plan. Who knows, maybe this will be a way for you to be a witness to the therapist. Let us know how it goes.