Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter Eggs

We had a nice Easter weekend. Josh had Good Friday off, so we spent time together as a family. Then on Saturday we drove up to his parent's house to have Easter dinner. I brought the camera, but yeah, I didn't take any pictures. Then on Sunday we went to church of course, and Matthew was dressed in blue pants, a white polo, and a light blue sweater vest. He looked really cute, but again, I forgot to take a picture. I think I have this bad habit of not remembering to perserve memories :)

For Easter dinner, Josh's mom wanted me to make deviled eggs, but she'd read that you could dye the eggs, just like you would if it had a shell on it. So I looked it up, and sure enough, it can be done. And no, I didn't look it up because I didn't believe her. I just wanted to see if there were specific instructions I needed to follow. You basically do what you would for coloring Easter eggs the "old-fashioned" way-- hot water, vinegar, food coloring. And then the longer you leave the egg in the color, the brighter it gets. They turned out really pretty. Josh and I worked on it together Saturday afternoon, and Matthew watched from his highchair. I think this will become a new family tradition for us.


Food Coloring: Blue, Red, Green, Yellow



Red Eggs



Green Eggs (and ham... ha ha!)



Final Product: Colored Angeled Eggs (well I can't call them "deviled" eggs if they were for Easter, can I?)

Hope you all had a nice Easter. I'm so glad Jesus is alive, aren't you? :)



7 comments:

Moz + Pam said...

Very cool eggs! I never even thought of that!

Janelle said...

I love your eggs! Very cute Mary!

dave + jess said...

The colored eggs are so pretty, Mary!! I was inadvertantly dying the inside of our Easter eggs as I was peeling them to make egg salad, they certainly didn't look as pretty ;).

And yes, I'm so glad that Jesus is alive and is coming back very soon!

Steve and Eden said...

I love your eggs! Very cool idea!! I'll have to make those for fun sometime. Do send me the link for the instructions, please?

Sara said...

I never would have thought to dye in the inside of the egg, but it looks so neat. :) I just got done shelling all our eggs to make egg salad... some of the dye seeped through cracks on them, but it doesn't look as cool as your eggs did.

Christi said...

cool eggs!! i've never seen that before - but they are pretty!! :-)

The Osborne's said...

Awh, thats really cool.