Thursday, March 19, 2009

Swing Time

(Warning: I realized that I've put up hardly any of his 11-month old pictures, so I've got a bunch in the second half of this post. I'll add the rest in another post. Enjoy!)

What my boy's been up to lately...

--Crawling and walking is not synonymous with mobility. Even as I write this, I have to keep checking on where Matthew is. First I saw two little legs sticking out from the bathroom doorway, and then I saw little feet kicking around just outside our bedroom door. Yeah, this kid is fast when it comes to his curiosity. And when I do find him and he's about to touch something that's off limits, he starts trying to get there faster before I pick him up with the biggest smile on his face. He must think it's a game or something.

--He's just blossomed socially this week it seems. Usually at church when I pick him up from the nursery, he's hesitant to leave my arms, even for Josh, because he was just reunited with me. But the other night he was reaching out for anyone to hold him, even if they weren't asking for him. I've made trips to the store and post office, and he charms anyone who'll talk to him. Smiling, reaching for their hand, acting goofy. What a flirt ;)

--Right now he's going through a "I hate bathtime" phase. We thought since we'd give him his bath right before bedtime that he was so tired he didn't want to enjoy it, but for his last bath we did it earlier, and he still cried. Not full-fledged crying, but this concerned whimper with apprehension etching his face. The real crying comes when we pour water over his head. I remember when he loved baths, and I look forward to when that day rears its lovely head once again.

--A few months ago we went through a phase where he'd make that squinty face when I'd ask him to smile. Well, it's back, and it looks even nastier/cuter with his new teeth displayed. You'll see it in some pictures below. Just wait.

--He loves his bookshelf, and he'll take specific books out for Josh or me to read to him. Sometimes he'll sit in our laps and eagerly turn pages. Other times he and I will lay on our bellies side by side and enjoy the book that way. And when I'm too busy to read it with him, he'll flip through it all by himself. He looks so grown-up when he does that.

--When Matthew was barefoot one time, Josh asked him where his socks were, and he immediately reached for his toes. I guess he knows where his socks are supposed to be.

--More on feet. I can say to Matthew, "Eat your toes!" and he'll stick one of his adorable piggies in his mouth.

--I can say to him, "Tickle Mommy!" and he'll tickle the closest body part, whether it's my belly or my arm :)

--Oh, he also gives kisses when we ask for them.

--Yesterday I started singing "If You're Happy and You Know It", and Matthew started clapping his hands. I must sing that song a lot to him.

--He walks when he's holding onto our fingers, but I don't have it on video yet. But I have pictures of lots of other things!!

Blanket fun

I think he looks like his cousin Olyvia in this picture

Sideways, but looking cute as he peeks over the blanket

There's that handsome face I love so much!

Wearing blue, but not feeling blue

Playing with a Christmas gift from Aunt Beka



Mommy, I know where my hair is!

Hey, pass me the camera. I wanna get this shot before I lose the light.



A face only a mother could love

Here's the weird face I was telling you about.

Much better

And there it is again.

Aw, so sweet!



The Playground

Matthew's first time on the swings (well, it's actually the second time, since I forgot to bring the camera the first time)


Cute picture with Daddy.

Mommy had to get in on the action too.

Not too sure about the slide.

Daddy, can we go back on the swings?

But this time, you hold me.

That's all I've got for now. Stay tuned for more cute pictures and some good news...(no, we're not pregnant) ;)



5 comments:

Janelle said...

Matthew is starting to walk...what a big boy!
That stinks he is not liking his bath. What happened? He used to love them didn't he?
I am so glad he is finally developing socially. Ha, just kidding. That is cute that he is starting to be more friendly in public.
I like that you said he tries to tickle you...too cute! Also it is sweet that he is giving you kisses now too.
I really liked the pictures too, especially of him and Josh on the swings.

Steve and Eden said...

I remember when Lyv was doing all the wonderful things that Matthew is now doing. It seems so LONG ago.

He'll start liking his bath again. Maybe a new toy would entice him.

It took Olyvia a while to warm up socially and now, I can barely get her back. lol

He is sooooo adorable in all those pics!! I just want to take him home with me. I agree that he does look like Lyv in that first pic.

I love the pic of him in the swing with you and Josh in the 2 different pics.

Lyv loves, loves the swing and it seems like Matthew is going to love them to.

Looking forward to the next post!!!

Moz + Pam said...

Wow! An incredible post loaded with great pics! LOVED it! Now I want more. At first when you said you had good news I held my breath! Then you said you weren't pregnant! ;) Especially love the 2 pics with both of you swinging with Matthew! I'd LOVE to see him!

dave + jess said...

You weren't kidding, LOTS of pics! I enjoyed looking at them and seeing what Matthew is up to. It gives me a glimpse of what I have to look forward to, although he's already managing to get into things he's not supposed to! Stinker. Happy Almost Bday to Matthew!

Sara said...

Ha, yeh, they are quick once they learn they can move. Pretty soon he'll be at that stage where he'll get REALLY quiet when he's up to no good. Ari does that, and when I'll ask what she's doing, I'll get a quick, "Nothing!" Which is a sure sign I need to check on her.

Ari's been hating bathtime lately too... well, not the whole thing, because she loves her toys and loves to splash. But she absolutely flips out when we pour water on her head. No idea why, since it never used to bother her. We've taught her now to hold a washcloth tightly over her eyes, and that seems to be working. (Yeh, we tried teaching her to tip her head back, and she couldn't get the hang of that, silly girl.) Here's hoping both our kiddos get over their bathtime freak-outs soon!

I absolutely LOVE his faces... he's definitely got a lot of personality! He's going to be a troublemaker... you can just tell. ;)