Monday, July 28, 2008

A Beautiful Moment

Sunday, July 27th

8:45pm I've begun to feed Matthew for his last meal this evening.

9:15pm He's done eating and relaxes in my arms for a little while. He has that tired look in his eyes.

9:30pm Ni-night, Matthew. I lay him in his crib on his belly, turn off the lamp, and leave the room.

The next 20 minutes... Josh and I hear some whining and low moans from the nursery. We go in to check our e-mail before bed and peek over at Matthew. We assume he's rolled over, since he is compeletely capable of doing so. But it's not the case here. He's still on his belly making his noises and settling himself down.

9:45pm The noises from the crib stop. I expect some full-on crying in a couple seconds. As I lean over the silent crib I am shocked by an unexpected vision. Baby limbs are spread out in all directions as he breathes slow and deep. I watch his back rise and fall in a peaceful rhythm. Dark, long eyelashes rest calmly against his cheeks, and little hands are curled in tiny fists.

Matthew fell asleep all by himself! I am beyond excited by this happening, and I keep smiling about it for the rest of the night. My little boy is growing up before my eyes.

6 comments:

Moz + Pam said...

Aww what a good boy Matthew is! Of course he has 2 great parents, too! I'm so glad he settled himself down! You have a right to smile! Good job, Matthew! Good job, Mommy & Daddy!

Sara said...

Ohhh, yay Matthew! :)

Janelle said...

hooray!

Steve and Eden said...

What a good boy! I love how you described him sleeping. Precious.

Christi said...

Yay!!! Way to go Matthew!! :-)

Dave + Jess said...

Go Matthew!! I can just picture his sweet little face calming down and falling asleep. He's a cutie!